Go Back   Aviation Nostalgia > Members Area > Say Hello

Great to be back.

Old 19th September 2010, 14:37

Great to be back.

Just to say Hello again after re-joining this great site. I don't know very much of the technical side of Aeroplanes (Never ever call it a plane Bader, I'ts an Aeroplane). My interest is in mostly WW2 British Aircraft and American WW2 Aeroplanes. My Father was employed as an Aeronautical Engineer at Westlands Aircraft of Yeovil (Where I was born) so I do have a great feeling towards Lysanders, Whirlwinds and Wyverns aircraft that He mostly worked on. I see there is one in the Gallery already (lysander). I have a beautiful chromium plated model that was presented to my Father on His retirement.

Regards. Tony.

Last edited by old strawberry; 19th September 2010 at 14:40.
Old 19th September 2010, 15:47
Administrator

Hi Tony, I'd guessed a few would have a sense of deja vu with this site
Welcome aboard

cheers,
Andy
Old 19th September 2010, 15:57

Thanks Andy. It's been a fantastic week on TV with all the Battle of Britain stuff. Those old pilots are just brilliant. I could listen to them for hours.

Tony.
Old 19th September 2010, 16:04

My Latin master at grammar school had been in charge of an anti-aircraft installation during the War in Egypt. He told us that the first aircraft that they shot down was a Lysander . . .
Old 19th September 2010, 16:29

Thanks for that. We can always rely on our own. Some of those Battle of Britain pilots were saying that they had a lot of trouble from friendly fire especially for Baleout Pilots.
Old 19th September 2010, 21:21
Super Moderator

Hello Tony and welcome back to the forum, I too have been watching the Battle of Britain all week, those young pilots where certainly very brave men.
Old 20th September 2010, 07:19

I don't know about You but whenever I see those beautiful Old aeroplanes I become so excited like a kid, something seems to well up inside Me. I get the same feeling when I see a Steam locomotive, although I am a seaman I don't get the same feeling about ships. Watching the TV programme last night with the Mc Gregor Brothers I was in the cockpit with them, there is quite a lot more on this week bring it on. Have you seen the new Magazine with models out in WH Smiths "Fighter Aircraft"? I have got the first two models A Spitfire and BF109 they are offering a range of about 10 models altogether ranging from WW1 and WW2 into the modern age, there are two more I am interested in this series a "Hurricane" and "Mustang" foreign made die-cast models but lots of detail.
Old 20th September 2010, 09:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by old strawberry View Post
Have you seen the new Magazine with models out in WH Smiths "Fighter Aircraft"? I have got the first two models A Spitfire and BF109 they are offering a range of about 10 models altogether ranging from WW1 and WW2 into the modern age, there are two more I am interested in this series a "Hurricane" and "Mustang" foreign made die-cast models but lots of detail.
Initial price £1.99 - future price £5.99 . . .
Old 20th September 2010, 13:05

Cheers G-CPTN. I was going to add that fact to my previous post. Anyway a pretty fair price considering that CORGI do small die-cast aeroplanes for £4.99. I think I am getting hooked on collecting now (Don't tell the wife). Sometime ago my Wife and I went up to Southampton for the day We usualy go our own ways when shopping. At the "WEST QUAYS" shopping mall I came across this shop called "NAUTICA" on the lowest level. In there they have some beautiful models of Aeroplanes, Ships, Loco's, Tractors, Lorries,Cars, Busses and Coaches. The Aircraft, quite large not sure of the scale but they had a "SPITFIRE" and many more but the "SPIT'" was about £300 sad to say that my pocket money wouldn't go that. They also had a model of the OB Bedford Coach at £29.99 which I was sorely tempted but it was no bigger than the "MATCHBOX" series. So if You ever come across a "NAUTICA" shop in Your area, definitely worth a look in, You'll have to get a sub off the Wife though!. I forgot to add that the "SPITFIRE" model comes with an actual piece of crashed Spit'(Or so they say).

Last edited by old strawberry; 20th September 2010 at 13:13.