Go Back   Aviation Nostalgia > Miscellaneous > Aircraft Tracking Devices - SBS, AIRNAV, Scanners

Sbs 1-er + flr 24.

Old 3rd December 2010, 14:52
Super Moderator

Sbs 1-er + flr 24.

With the weather being so bad this week and the heavy snow and frost and not being able to get out I was glad I had got my SBS 1-ER box, the sky has been blue almost all week and I have been able to track a lot of aircraft flying over the top. There has been a lot of freight flights with it being close to Christmas from UPS, Fedex and DHL. Also the airports have taken a battering from the weather with Gatwick and a lot of other airports having to close because they could not shift the snow quick enough. Hope you are all keeping warm, all the best.

Old 3rd December 2010, 16:41

I had to look up what this gadget is:

http://www.javiation.co.uk/sbs-1er.html

What range can you 'see'?
Old 3rd December 2010, 22:23
Super Moderator

Evening Fazer, you can zoom out and see all the aircraft over the UK providing you have the correct antennae and it is high enough. I have mine from South Scotland to the Midlands that is just right for me.
Old 11th December 2010, 10:21

Unhappy

I have my SBS running on all day and night and its better than the TV some days !
I have a simillar range to G6 UXU even with a pole up the chimney, to many hills surround my location
I do take it out when the weather is clear (and warm) sometimes to Pole Hill where the range leaps to over Holland and the number of contacts reaches 190-230.
Bought a net book this year with a battery life of 9 hours so I could leave it running in the car all day - used it at Duxford twice, RIAT, LHR and at work in Liverpool several times. Added an extra extended battery with 12-15 hours running
Old 11th December 2010, 21:29

I use the Iphone with the apps, planefinder.com and flightradar24 pro.com downloaded. It works great and lets me know what is above or nearby. You can zoom out all over europe if required. When at Blackpool airport today it told me that Emirates A6-EDN was above, another good cop

Alan
Old 11th December 2010, 22:30
Super Moderator

I am like you Keith, when we have blue skies the box is on all the time and with the weather being so bad lately it has been great to sit at home and still enjoy the hobby. The iphone that Alan uses is a superb bit of kit that you put in your top pocket and dot spot from anywhere.
Old 12th December 2010, 09:26

I have Flight Radar 24 and Plane Finder on my android phone which is fantastic!
I also use Flight Radar 24 at home as an early heads up what's coming my way!
How things have changed from a book, a pen, bins and a radio....I still have my Sharp airband radio in it's box
Old 29th January 2011, 11:14
Super Moderator

This last two days we have had wall to wall sunshine here in the North West and clear blue skies so the SBS-1-ER has been put to good use and also flightradar24 for advanced warning that a aircraft I need is on it`s way. Keith, I use a Uniden UBC 780 XLT scanner with a 2m aerial, on a good day I can here ATC at Daventry.