Go Back   Aviation Nostalgia > News & General Discussion > Aviation News from around the World

Trip to Malaysia and Vietnam

Old 21st April 2016, 16:36

Trip to Malaysia and Vietnam

Just back from a fortnight in Malaysia and Vietnam, courtesy of KLM (B.777-200 and 300) and Air Asia (Airbus A320).

Some photos have been published in the Gallery, but I couldn't get near other interesting aircraft, such as two of the original three B.747-200 freighters allegedly abandoned at Kuala Lumpur airport (KUL). An Interesting story about them can be found by using this link: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-1...47-its-airport

The old American H.A.S. (Hardened Aircraft Shelters) on the far side of Da Nang airport are still much in evidence. Whilst taxiing in an A320, I did catch some interesting glimpses of various models of Migs literally stuffed inside some of the HAS, Mil Mi-6 helicopters stored in individual shelters and a glorious example of a Mil Mi-4 helicopter, clearly no longer in use but looking fairly intact. A pair of sky-blue coloured Mig 21s posed as interceptors on a ramp, but I think that they were just for show.

Vietnam Airlines were in evidence at Da Nang airport (DAD) with an Airbus A330 and what looked like A321s. I also saw three of their ATR72-500s on the ramp. Other than our Air Asia A320, the only other 'foreigner' I saw was the ubiquitous B.737 of Singapore Airlines.

DAD doesn't have much of an international airline presence and taking unauthorized photographs can land you in trouble!

Old 21st April 2016, 16:45
Super Moderator

A cracking set of shots and info from your travels IF and many thanks for sharing them with us, all the best.
Old 21st April 2016, 17:37

Just to mention that my total air miles/flight time came to over 15,000 and roughly 32 hours respectively. Add on the hours spent hanging around airports and it was a fairly grueling experience!

On a practical note, anyone thinking of traveling to Kuala Lumpur should be aware that Kuala Lumpur International Airport is situated 55km (34 miles) south of the city, and using a taxi or limousine service to/from a city hotel can involve a "white knuckle" ride as driving standards are relatively poor.