Go Back   Aviation Nostalgia > News & General Discussion > Jet Airliners

Do you miss the flightdeck visits on airliners?

Old 28th April 2011, 20:01

Question Do you miss the flightdeck visits on airliners?

I can remember being able to go up into the flightdecks of many airliners as a youngster on the way to the family holidays years ago. To me it was a real highlight of the whole trip, seeing the instruments and chatting to the crew....the night time flights were amazing, and the daytime ones were spectacular, especially going over the Alps or Pyranees....

I know why the banning of flightdeck visits came about, and I understand the ban completely, but that doesn't stop me wishing I could go back there again nowadays and watch, listen and just be awe inspired at the technology

Does anyone else feel the same way...or are there any pilots who have unusual or funny stories to share from the days when flightdeck visits were allowed?

~ Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
Old 28th April 2011, 21:26
Super Moderator

I certainly do miss them Ally, almost every time I flew I would ask if I could go on the flightdeck and never got refused, how things have changed.
Old 30th April 2011, 19:04

Another sad person here (that misses those cockpit visits).

One of my 'best' was on a long-haul B747 to the Far East from the UK.

The FO was flying (or, at least, 'George' was) and I was invited to sit in the vacant left seat.

After taking time to scan the instruments, I engaged the young man in conversation about George. This obviously roused his enthusiasm, as he then proceeded to say "If I do this I can do this and this" as he yawed the aircraft from side to side noticeably with a smile on his face, then said "but we don't want to spill the coffees in the back . . . "

I think he was pleased to be able to relieve his boredom!

Another was standing behind the crew of an executive jet as we flew at night over the town where I was living.

Yet another was discovering that the radar was only for weather as the small executive jet (again I was standing immediately behind the crew, but it was daylight) as we were 'buzzed' head-on by two military 'planes that flew either side (at what seemed to be the same altitude!). I asked whether they had 'seen it on the radar' - and was told that the military aircraft probably saw us on theirs!