View Single Post
Old 5th June 2011, 23:18

I am a bit surprised that almost everyone has plumped for the B747, but then I am going to go for the iconic 'Jumbo' too. I really liked the A340 LHR-JHB, especially the camera on top of the fin, but it was a bit on the crowded side.

I flew L1011 a few times and have to say it was both comfortable and oddly quiet, spacious and roomy. First class from Dohar to Baharein once too - the stews were all women and all drop dead gorgeous.

The 767 is horrible, even though my nephew drives them, but oddly I always liked the 757 which is a very similar aeroplane. From the days when it was possible to be a flight deck groupie, I wangled my way on to the flight deck at every oportunity. The only Boeing I haven't been in the cockpit of is the 707 and then only because they were a bit before my travelling time. The only ones I haven't done a landing in the cockpit is the 777 and the 744. I was practically qualified before 9/11.

The only trans Atlantic flight I've done in first class was AI126 ORD-LHR more than ten years ago, a 743 I think! BA had bounced me off BA294 with a business class upgrade and a cheque for $200 in my pocket. They shoved us over to the AI desk which was surrounded by the population of Delhi, with all the AI staff over the counter jabbering away in Gudjerati while volunteer Swissair staff were hammering the computers. The situation got even more bizarre, but I won't go in to that. Suffice to say my seat partner and I occupied the volume of about six people backi in steerage and it was the fastest ORD-LHR I've ever done - 6:45 hr.

The 747 is still the fastest airliner in service, capable of mach 0.95 and cruise at 42,000ft. When Boeing bet the farm on the 747, the definitely got it right.

Roger.