View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2011, 21:58

I also flew with Scotty from Biggin Hill. It would've been roundabout 1974-5, and we used to fly in a Tri-Pacer - G-ARDP (white with a yellow spinner if memory serves..). I was in the Scouts ( 39th Croydon - land Scouts ) and I was the first in my Group to get the 'Airman' badge, which required me to attend the 42nd Croydon Air Scouts, where I was coached and quizzed by Don Conway and T.E. Scott-Chard. I remember finding Scotty a bit intimidating at first - prone to saying 'B******s' quite a lot! But once we got to know each other, my fear of him disappeared. We took-off from Biggin one Sunday, in weather that I wouldn't dream of flying in these days. But back then, I had never heard of IMC; all I knew was that Scotty flew Blenheims and therefore knew what he was doing. We were in almost complete cloud cover for about 30 mins, when a Rollason Condor flew up from beneath us to sit about 300yds in front of us. It frightened the life out of me, but Scotty took it in his stride. Can anyone tell me what ever happened to him? There is an Air Scout hut at Biggin that bears his name, so I'm guessing he is no longer with us.