Aviation Nostalgia

Aviation Nostalgia (https://www.aviationnostalgia.com/index.php)
-   Aviation Photography (https://www.aviationnostalgia.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Lenses. (https://www.aviationnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=25)

G6 UXU 11th October 2010 18:00

Evening Alan, how is the new markll Canon 2 X extender performing ?

G6 UXU 29th October 2010 14:54

I am thinking of buying a Canon 60D, when it was first advertised I think it was £1,199:00 body only and I have just had a look on the internet and one shop has reduced it to £829:00 £300:00 off in a few weeks. I am very tempted now, I have the 50D but the 60D has HD video capability has a extra.

G-CPTN 29th October 2010 15:33

Ask yourself whether you need (HD) video - and whether you would choose to shoot it with your stills camera.

(I've recently been through this exercise - I decided to stick with a 'simple' stills camera.)

Canon 60D here:- http://hdewcameras.rtrk.co.uk/?scid=..._id=5927337921

G6 UXU 29th October 2010 21:16

Evening G-C, I am thinking of getting a 60D because of the moving objects that I photograph, I am constantly having to change lenses and has you know every time you change a lens it is possible that dust etc. can cause havoc to the camera. the HD video will be a bonus to film some of the odd bits that crop up now and again.

Tonka71 9th November 2010 20:06

They're not worth it just for video mate,you can get a decent camcorder for less,i bought a 550d that has HD videoon it and it dosen't get used .:)

Tonka71 15th November 2010 10:08

G-C what lenses are you using with your K200.:cool:

G-CPTN 15th November 2010 11:51

I have the 18-55 kit lens and my newly-acquired Sigma 28-300mm.

I also carry (when I'm 'out on an assignment' - ie something like an airshow) manual focus Sigma 75-300mm and Sigma 400mm. I also have a much-loved and frequently-used (with 35mm film) Vivitar 28-200mm which was my standard-fit lens when I shot on film.

Among my collection of manual lenses I have a fisheye and two mirror lenses (500mm and 1000mm) though I haven't used any of these since I went digital. To be fair I haven't really ever used the 1000mm (well, maybe a couple of times to shoot views of the Moon). It is a Russian lens and one of the few that I bought new (I was still working then). Both mirror lenses are fixed aperture f8.

Tonka71 15th November 2010 15:36

my word i thought i had a lot of lenses..lol

if i was truthful the lense i'd like is the canon 400mm L but at £5K it's well out of my price range.
Wot other photography do you do mate,i do quite a few landscapes and portraits.:):cool:

Ian 15th November 2010 15:56

G-C Are all your lens Pentax K fit? As the lens I use 99.9% of the time is a Tamron 18-200mm

G-CPTN 15th November 2010 15:56

I bought all my lenses (except the 1000mm one) secondhand.

When I was working I did a lot of travelling, and always called in to camera shops to see what they had for little money.

I got back into photography when my son asked for a camera so that he could join a photography course at his highschool.

I offered him a new Praktica - or a secondhand ME Super (for the same money). He chose the ME Super.

I thought it such a nice camera that I bought one for myself (and another for my daughter). I had been without a camera (other than the Vito BL which wasn't used much anyway) for a couple of decades.
(Actually that isn't true - I bought a Polaroid camera to take snaps of the children when they were very young.)

Anyway, I progressed from the ME Super to a Super A and expanded my collection of lenses as and when I found suitable ones at the right price.

My major activity has been at airshows, but more recently I have attended shows of old vehicles (cars as well as trucks) - and, of course, I now have grandchildren!

I have at least one screw-thread lens (85mm f1.4 IIRC) which I used with a bayonet adaptor.
Most of my lenses are KA fitting, though I have a few 'classic' K-type lenses (40mm pancake and a 50mm f1.2 for example).

The mirror lenses are simple K-fitting of course, being fixed aperture!